Skip to main content

Honors Advisement

Honors Advisement

Each Honors College student is assigned at least two advisors:

Honors College Advisor:
All Honors College students (Major, Minor, and Designation) are required to see the Honors College advisor for Honors College program advisement. The Honors College advisor will help you navigate the program requirements, create an intentional degree plan unique to you, and connect you to campus resources and opportunities.

Major Advisor (Degree granting college)
: Students minoring in Honors Interdisciplinary Studies or completing the Honors Designation are formally advised by their home colleges, and changes in LoboTrax, etc. are processed through these advisors. Students opting for the Honors Interdisciplinary Major are served through the Honors College advisor. Students should meet with their major advisor once or twice per year (as is expected in those colleges) to set their curriculum and plan for their future.

Faculty Advisor
: In addition to these advising venues, all students opting to major in the Honors College are required to make contact with a faculty advisor in their sophomore year. This faculty advisor will very likely eventually be responsible for overseeing the student’s senior thesis. Initially, however, the advisor will detail the requirements and roadmap for the Major, and will begin planning a course sequence with the prospective student.

Finally, the Honors College has a rich history of informal faculty mentoring of students, which can, in many cases, amount to advisement. The mentoring relationships that this produces often lead to discussions of academic trajectories, future career plans, research opportunities, preparation for application for major fellowships, etc. Such informal undergraduate mentoring is encouraged by the Honors College.


Advisement Hours

Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Schedule an appointment using LoboAchieve (services, search services, Honors College)
Open Advisement Walk-in times: Wednesday afternoons and Fridays 8:30am - 12pm & 1:30pm - 4pm. Walk-in advisement sessions are restricted to 15 minutes during busy times.

For questions please call: 505.277.4211 or email


Registration for Spring 2020:


Be sure to pay your balance by 11/10. If you have questions about whether your balance will generate a hold, please contact the bursar's office at (505) 277-5363 or click here for more UNM Bursar's Office Contact Information.


Override Request:  Overrides will only be required for skipping a level, taking 2 courses with the same number (repeatable), independent study/senior options (492, 493 etc), and UHON121. Course prerequisites will work as they do for other course at UNM and will not require an override if you have taken the prerequisite course (taken the course at the preceding level).


Prerequisite Override Form "Skipping a Level": Skipping a level requires the permission of the instructor. Please complete the form and have the instructor sign it. The form needs to be turned into the front desk by April 11th or scanned and emailed to in order to have the override in place prior to the opening of registration.


Duplicate Overrides: You will need a duplicate override if you want to take more than one section of UHON301 or 401 in the same semester. Please email for a duplicate override.


Independent Study Form: Please complete the form with your instructor and turn it in to the front desk. Independent study courses are approved by the Chair of the Curriculum Committee and must be submitted 1 week prior to class starting.


Honors College Transfer Equivalency Form: All Equivalencies are approved on a case-by-case basis by the Faculty Chair and the Dean of the Honors College. Courses cannot double count if being used for the Honors Interdisciplinary Minor (cannot also be counting toward a major or another minor), however courses applied to the Designation in Honors can also count toward a major or minor. All forms need to be submitted with a syllabus (in English).